Saturday 6 July 1957
It was Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mario Martinez and Ron Duguay in Canada hockey player (New York Rangers.
In that special week of July people in US were listening to Love Letters In The Sand by Pat Boone.
In UK Yes Tonight Josephine by Johnnie Ray was in the top 5 hits.
The Pride and the Passion, directed by Stanley Kramer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while The Scapegoat by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Gay Cavalier.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 July 1957!
Which were the important events of 6 July 1957 ?
- Comoros - Independence Day (1975).
- Feast day of St Maria Goretti.
- Lithuania - Statehood Day.
- Malawi - Independence Day (1964).
- Malawi - Republic Day (1966).
- Roman festivals: Ludi Apollinares, games in honour of Apollo (since 208 BC) began today.
- San Fermin a Spanish Catholic festival centered in Pamplona begins today.
- Music festival EXIT begins today in Serbian town of Novi Sad.
- Czech Republic - Jan Hus Day (1415).
- Mario Martinez: Salinas, California -- US Olympic weightlifter (1988 Olympics - 4th Place).
- Ron Duguay in Canada hockey player (New York Rangers: Detroit Red Wings).
- Susan Ford: American noted family, the only daughter of Betty and Gerald Ford; her dad became U.S.
- 64th Wimbledon Womens Tennis: Althea Gibson beats Darlene Hard (63 62)
- Beatle John Lennon 1st meets Paul McCartney
- Harry S Truman Library forms in Independence, Missouri
- Althea Gibson wins the Wimbledon championships, becoming the first black athlete to do so.
- John Lennon and Paul McCartney of the Beatles are introduced to each other when Lennon's band the Quarrymen performs at the St. Peter's Church Hall fete in Woolton.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Marty Robbins - A White Sport Coat (And A Pink Carnation)
- Elvis Presley - All Shook Up
- Gale Storm - Dark Moon
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Ricky Nelson - A Teenager's Romance
- Sal Mineo - Start Movin' (In My Direction)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?