Friday 6 October 1944
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jose Carlos Pace and David Gilbert.
To Have and Have Not, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
On TV people were watching Gillette Cavalcade of Sports.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 October 1944!
Which were the important events of 6 October 1944 ?
- Judaism - Fast of Gedalia (2005)
- Egypt - National Day or Victory Day; celebrates the results of the October war in 1973
- U.S. - German-American Day observed since 1987; Mad Hatter Day
- French Republican Calendar - �ne (Donkey) Day, fifteenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Ireland - Ivy Day, formerly honoring the Irish revolutionary Padraig Pearse, commemmorates the death of Charles Stewart Parnell.
- Also see October 6 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Bruno, St Faith
- Jose Carlos Pace: Brazilian racing driver (d. 1977).
- David Gilbert: American activist and convicted armed robber, a member of the Weather Underground from the late 1960s until his arrest for a botched Brinks robbery on 20 October 1981.
- Merzak Allouache: Director (Salut Cousin, Amour a Paris).
- Patrick Cordingley: English general.
- Boris Mikhailov: Russian ice hockey player and coach.
- Carlos Pace: Brazilian race car driver (d. 1977)
- Allied aircrafts bombard per accident Fishing, Overijssel
- Canadians free Austria
- HM Zwaardvis sinks U168 at Java
- Soviets march into Hungary and Czechoslovakia
- WWII: The Battle of Debrecen starts on the Eastern Front (it lasts until October 29).
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 6 October 1944
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Smoke on the Water - Red Foley
- Together - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
- It Could Happen To You - Jo Stafford
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?