Monday 23 October 1944
It was Monday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Warren Burton and Jim Rittwage.
None But the Lonely Heart, directed by Clifford Odets, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
On TV people were watching Gillette Cavalcade of Sports.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 October 1944!
Which were the important events of 23 October 1944 ?
- Chemistry: Mole Day
- Astrology: First day of sun sign Scorpio in Western tropical astrology.
- Hungary - National Day (revolution of 1956 and the proclamation of the Republic of Hungary in 1989)
- Also see October 23 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - Saint Giovanni da Capistrano; Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius
- French Republican Calendar - CTleri (Celery) Day, second day in the Month of Brumaire
- Warren Burton: Chicago, Illinois -- Actor (Jason Dunlap-Another World.
- Jim Rittwage: American baseball player, a right-handed pitcher who played eight games with the Cleveland Indians in September 1970.
- Mike Harding: English singer-songwriter and comedian.
- 1st Central Kitchen opens in Amsterdam
- Gulf of Leyte battle begin
- Soviet army invades Hungary.
- WWII: Medal of Honor winning submarine ace Richard O'Kane becomes a prisoner of war when ''Tang'' is sunk in the Formosa Strait.
- Florence Foster Jenkins gives a recital in Carnegie Hall.
- WWII: The Red Army liberates Kirkenes, the first town in Norway to be liberated.
- The Holocaust: Anne Frank and sister Margot Frank are deported from Auschwitz to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
- ''Appalachian Spring'', a ballet by Martha Graham with music by Aaron Copland, debuts at the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., with Graham in the lead role.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 October 1944
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- The Trolley Song - Pied Pipers
- Let's Sing A Song About Susie - Merry Macs
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?