Monday 2 October 1944
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Peter Hobson and Vernor [Steffen] Vinge.
Tall in the Saddle, directed by Edwin L. Marin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while The Razor's Edge by W. Somerset Maugham was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Gillette Cavalcade of Sports.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 2 October 1944!
Which were the important events of 2 October 1944 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Memorial of Guardian Angels
- World Farm Animal Day
- Roman festivals - First day of the Ludi Augustales to celebrate the recovery by emperor August of Roman standards from the Parthians
- Also see October 2 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Guinea - Independence Day (from France, 1958)
- French Republican Calendar - Pomme de terre (Potato) Day, eleventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- India - Gandhi Jayanti (birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869)
- Peter Hobson: Headmaster (Giggleswick School).
- Vernor [Steffen] Vinge: United States -- Sci-fi author (Witling, True Names).
- Vernor Vinge: American computer scientist and author.
- Nazis crush Warsaw Uprising killing 250,000 people
- World War II: Nazi troops end the Warsaw Uprising.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Smoke on the Water - Red Foley
- Together - Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians
- It Could Happen To You - Jo Stafford
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?