Saturday 8 August 1953
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include "Sweet" Lou and Donny Most in Brooklyn.
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The Cruel Sea, directed by Charles Frend, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while Life Among The Savages by Shirley Jackson was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Quatermass Experiment.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1953!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1953 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- "Sweet" Lou: Dunbar; basketball player (Harlem Globetrotters).
- Donny Most in Brooklyn: New York, USA; actor (Ralph Malph - Happy Days).
- Mark Lazarowicz: English politician.
- Nigel Mansell: English race car driver.
- Don Most: American actor and director.
- US and South Korea initial a mutual security pact.
- Soviet prime minister Georgi Malenkov announces that the Soviet Union has a hydrogen bomb.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1953 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?