Wednesday 8 February 2012
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of February people in US were listening to Set Fire To The Rain by Adele.
Safe House, directed by Daniel Espinosa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Summer Garden by Sherryl Woods was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Lyons Den.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Blade & Soul or Dungeon Village.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 February 2012!
Which were the important events of 8 February 2012 ?
- Nirvana Day - an annual Buddhist festival.
- Saint Jerome Emiliani.
- Saint Juventius
- Saint Mengold of Huy
- Saint Jacoba (d.1239)
- Slovenia - Pre?eren Day, the Slovenian cultural holiday.
- Boy Scouts of America - Scout Sunday; The Sunday preceding February 8 is designated as Scout Sunday and the following Saturday is designated as Scout Sabbath.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 February
- Pakistani officials claim that US drone missiles have killed ten people in Spalga village in North Waziristan. (Reuters)
- The Syrian government launches an offensive in Homs, with tanks reported in neighbourhoods and dozens of people reported as dying over the past few hours. (BBC/AFP via ABC Online)
- The Islamist group Al-Shabab claims responsibility for a car bombing in the Somalian capital Mogadishu which claims at least ten people and injures at least 20. (BBC)
- Histadrut, Israel's trade union organisation, calls a nationwide strike with Ben Gurion Airport to be closed until midday. (AP via Google News)
- Air France cancels long-haul flights due to a strike by staff. (AFP via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Vincent Van Gogh, Edgar Degas and Camille Pissarro artworks, from the personal collection of Elizabeth Taylor, sell for £13.7 million at Christie's in London. (BBC)
- Zsa Zsa Gabor, suffering from life-threatening health problems, has a party for her 95th birthday. (Reuters)
- The death toll from a factory collapse in Lahore, Pakistan, rises to 21. (AP via MSNBC)
- The New Zealand Royal Commission on the Pike River Mine disaster hears that a collapse in the coal extraction area was the most likely cause of the fatal blast in the mine on November 19, 2010 that claimed 29 lives. (TV New Zealand)
- Early 2012 European cold wave: The death toll throughout Europe rises to over 400 with the Danube River freezing over for 170 km. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Three Bharatiya Janata Party Ministers in the Indian state of Karnataka ndash Laxman Savadi, C C Patil and J. Krishna Palemar ndash are forced to resign after footage is shown of them watching a pornographic video in the Legislative Assembly. (Reuters)
- The Washington State Legislature in the United States approves a bill that will allow same-sex marriage in the state. (CNN)
- Wang Lijun, former police chief of the central Chinese city of Chongqing, unexpectedly leaves his position and goes to the Chongqing U.S. Consulate, sparking rumours of his political downfall. (BBC)
- Three investigating judges from the Cour de Justice de la République file preliminary charges against former French Minister of Labor, Solidarity and Public service Éric Woerth over ampquotpassive influence peddlingampquot in relation to the affairs of L'Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt. (AP)
- In Charlottesville, Virginia, U.S., the prosecution and defense both make their opening statements in the trial of former University of Virginia men's lacrosse player George Huguely on murder charges in the 2010 death of former UVA women's lacrosse player Yeardley Love. (AP via ESPN0
- English football:
- Fabio Capello resigns as the manager of England over continuing clashes with The Football Association (FA) following the sacking of John Terry as team captain, with Terry facing charges of racist abuse. (Sky News)
- The FA announces a press conference to be held at Wembley tomorrow noon. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- The semi-finals of the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations take place in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon. (BBC Sport)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2012 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 8 February 2012
Serie AItalian Football
- Catania - Roma : 1 - 1
Premier LeagueUK Soccer
- Hearts - Celtic : 0 - 4
Ethniki KatigoriaFootball (Greece)
- Asteras Tripolis - Levadeiakos : 0 - 1
- Panetolikos - Doxa Dramas : 0 - 2
- Den Haag - AZ Alkmaar : 0 - 6
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?