Saturday 18 February 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of February people in US were listening to Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) by Kelly Clarkson.
Wanderlust, directed by David Wain, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Descending.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Diabolical Pitch or Dragon Story.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 February 2012!
Which were the important events of 18 February 2012 ?
- Independence Day in The Gambia (1965)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 February
- 2011–2012 Syrian uprising:
- Security forces open fire at a funeral procession in Damascus for those killed in protests in the capital. (AFP)
- China urges all sides in the conflict to end the violence. (BBC)
- Violence breaks out in Dakar, Senegal, during an anti-government protest. (IOL)
- The death toll from a bombing on Friday in the Pakistani town of Parachinar in the Kurram region rises to 32. (Canadian Press via ''Winnipeg Free Press'')
- USA drone airstrikes kill at least 21 suspected militants in North Waziristan, Pakistan. (BBC)
- The Russian Army loses 17 soldiers while fighting in a day long battle with insurgents in the North Caucasus region. (Antara News)
- Senegalese police clash with protesters in Dakar in the fourth consecutive day of protests ahead of next week's presidential election. (Voice of America)
- The funeral of American entertainer Whitney Houston is held at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey. (Reuters)
- Roman Catholic Church:
- Pope Benedict XVI formally appoints 22 new Cardinals. (CNN)
- The Pope also announces seven new saints, including the first native American saint Kateri Tekakwitha from the US state of New York. (CNN)
- The Italian film ''Caesar Must Die'' wins the Golden Bear at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival. (''The Hollywood Reporter'')
- The Greek Cabinet approves additional austerity measures demanded by the European Union and International Monetary Fund. (Reuters)
- At least nine people are killed and 24 injured after a bus crashes in China's Yunnan province. (RIA Novosti)
- Twenty one people are given jail sentences in the People's Republic of China for match fixing, including Yang Yimin, a former deputy chief of the Chinese Football Association. (Reuters via ''Times of India'')
- Former International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn is summoned by French police to face questions about alleged involvement in a prostitution ring in the city of Lille. (BBC)
- The Emperor of Japan Akihito successfully undergoes heart bypass surgery. (BBC)
- Voters in Latvia go to the polls for a a constitutional referendum on whether to to make Russian a second official language with 75% of voters rejecting the proposal. (''The Moscow Times'')
- The Prime Minister of Spain Mariano Rajoy is reelected as head of the Popular Party at its conference in Seville. 's_ruling_party/ (AFP via Alternet)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2012 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 18 February 2012
Serie AItalian Football
- Juventus - Catania : 3 - 1
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Bergen - Genk : 1 - 2
- Lokeren - Gent : 1 - 1
- Mechelen - Germinal : 2 - 1
- Oud-Heverlee Leuven - Cercle Brugge : 2 - 3
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Freiburg - Bayern Munich : 0 - 0
- Hamburg - Werder Bremen : 1 - 3
- Hertha - Dortmund : 0 - 1
- Kaiserslautern - M'gladbach : 1 - 2
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Bochum - Union Berlin : 4 - 2
- Ein Frankfurt - Frankfurt FSV : 6 - 1
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?