Friday 8 January 1926
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kerwin Mathews and Soupy Sales.
The Sea Beast, directed by Millard Webb, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
while Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 January 1926!
Which were the important events of 8 January 1926 ?
- Commonwealth Day is celebrated in Northern Mariana Islands.
- Kerwin Mathews: American actor (Born 1926).
- Soupy Sales: American comedian, clever and imaginative, a popular figure on early TV, raised pie-throwing to an art form, having supposedly tossed 19,000 of them during his show business career.
- Jani Christou: Greek composer.
- Milton "Soupy Sales" Hines in North Carolina: USA; comedian (Soupy Sales Show).
- Kerwin Matthews: American actor, the dashing hero of adventure pictures in the late '50s and early '60s, leaving his early career as a school teacher.
- Evelyn Lear: American operatic soprano (d. 2012).
- Kelucharan Mohapatra: Indian dancer and choreographer (d. 2004).
- Hanae Mori: Japanese fashion designer.
- Evelyn Lear [Shulman]: Brooklyn, New York -- Soprano.
- Emile Paladilhe: Composer, dies at 81.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1926 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- The Convict and the Rose - Vernon Dalhart
- Vernon Dalhart - The Wreck of the Shenandoah
- Freshie - Fred Waring's Pennsylvanians
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?