Wednesday 9 May 1945
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 9, 1945). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Jupp Heynckes and Grazia Bordoni.
Las abandonadas, directed by Emilio Fernández, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1945
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1945 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Jupp Heynckes: German footballer and manager.
- Grazia Bordoni: Italian high school teacher of Italian, Latin, History and Geography after earning her Degree in Letters, 1970.
- Mark Pemberton: American ecclesiastic, a Russian Orthodox Priest.
- Charles Platt: British-American author, journalist and computer programmer with a special interest in cryonics.
- Keith Jarrett: Composer.
- Steve Katz: American guitarist songwriter and producer (Blood Sweat & Tears Blues Project and American Flyer).
- Gamal El-Ghitani: Egyptian journalist and author (d. 2015).
- Steve Katz in New York City: New York, USA; rock guitarist/vocalist (Blood, Sweat and Tears).
- Czechoslovakia liberated from Nazi occupation (National Day)
- Victory celebration at Red Square
- Nazi propagandist Max Blokzijl is arrested.
- Norwegian Nazi collaborator Vidkun Quisling is arrested.
- New balata ball used in baseball, 50 percent livilier.
- Jersey liberated from Germans.
- World War II: Ratification in Berlin-Karlshorst of the German unconditional surrender of May 8 in Rheims, France, with the signatures of Marshal Georgy Zhukov for the Soviet Union, and for the Western Headquarters Sir Arthur Tedder, British Air Marshal and Eisenhower's deputy, and for the German side of Colonel-General Hans-Jurgen Stumpff as the representative of the Luftwaffe, Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel as the Chief of Staff of OKW, and Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedeburg as Commander-in-Chief
- Hermann Göring is captured by the United States Army.thumb|right|alt=a black and white image of two Marines in their combat uniforms. One Marine is providing cover fire with his Tommy gun|M1 Thompson submachinegun as the other with a Browning Automatic Rifle, prepares to break cover to move to a different position. There are bare sticks and rocks on the ground.|Marines of 1st Marine Division fighting on Okinawa, May 1945.
- The Norwegian resistance movement in Oslo, Norway, arrests the traitor Vidkun Quisling.
- The Red Army enters Prague.
- The German occupation of the Channel Islands ends with the liberation by British troops.
- Alderney, an annex of the concentration camp ''Neuengamme'', is liberated.
- Argentinian labour leader José Peter declares the ''Federación Obrera de la Industria de la Carne'' dissolved.
- Rev. W. V. Awdry's children's book ''The Three Railway Engines'', first of The Railway Series, is published in England.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1945 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Jo Stafford - There's No You
- Yah-Ta-Ta, Yah-Ta-Ta (Talk, Talk, Talk) - Bing Crosby & Judy Garland