Wednesday 14 September 1927
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Janet Davies and Martin Caidin.
The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg, directed by Ernst Lubitsch, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1927
while The Plutocrat by Booth Tarkington was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1927!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1927 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Martin Caidin: American author and screenwriter (d. 1997).
- Janet Davies: English actress (d. 1986).
- Gardner Dickinson: American golfer (d. 1998).
- Jim Fanning: American-Canadian baseball player and manager (d. 2015).
- Edmund Szoka: American cardinal (d. 2014).
- An underwater earthquake in Japan kills over 100 people.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?