Tuesday 14 September 1926
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Richard Elsasser and Michel Butor.
The Strong Man, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
while The Private Life of Helen of Troy by John Erskine was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1926!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1926 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Richard Elsasser: Composer.
- Michel Butor: French writer.
- Dick Dale: American musician, a singer and saxophone player noted for his regular appearances on the Lawrence Welk Show.
- Carmen Franco: 1st Duchess of Franco, Grandee of Spain, Dowager Marquise of Villaverde, is the only daughter of Spain's Caudillo, dictator General Francisco Franco Bahamonde and his wife, María del Carmen Polo and Martinez-Valdes.
- Richard Ellsasser: American organist composer and conductor (d. 1972).
- Johan LE Dreyer: Danish astronomer (Catalog of Nebulae), dies at 74.
- Guido Companions birthplace as a museum opens
- Locarno Treaties of 1925 are ratified in Geneva and come into effect.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1926 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Cherie, I Love You - Ross Gorman & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?