Friday 15 August 1952
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ger Hoeymakers and Bernard Lacombe.
The Quiet Man, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1952
while Catherine Carter by Pamela Hansford Johnson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1952!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1952 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Ger Hoeymakers: Dutch rock guitarist (Franc Boeijen Group).
- Bernard Lacombe: French football (soccer) player, who played forward, mainly with Olympique Lyonnais, Girondins Bordeaux and the French national team.
- Chuck Burgi: American drummer (Blue Öyster Cult Rainbow and Brand X).
- 19th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: Los Angeles 10, All-Stars 7 (88,316)
- Devon, United Kingdom A flashflood drenches the town of Lynmouth, killing 34 people.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?