Wednesday 15 August 1951
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Ranjan Gunatilleke and Didier Haudepin.
A Place in the Sun, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1951
while His Eye Is On The Sparrow by Ethel Waters and Charles Samuels was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Adventures of Kit Carson.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 15 August 1951!
Which were the important events of 15 August 1951 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Ranjan Gunatilleke: Sri Lankan cricketer.
- Didier Haudepin: French actor, film producer, director and screenwriter.
- Ann Biderman: American film and television writer.
- Bobby Caldwell: American singer and musician.
- John Childs: English cricketer.
- Daba Diawara: Malian politician
- Artur Schnabel: Austria / US pianist (Reflections on Music), dies at 69.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1951 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Gimme a Little Kiss, Will Ya, Huh? - April Stevens (Henri Rene Orchestra)
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?