Tuesday 16 August 1927
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1927). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Ben Gray and Lois Nettleton.
The Cat and the Canary, directed by Paul Leni, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1927
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1927
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1927!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1927 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Ben Gray: American wealthy rancher and landowner with many enemies and a bad rep with the local Indians.
- Lois Nettleton: American actress (d. 2008).
- 1st HR hit out of Comiskey Park Chicago (NY Yankee Babe Ruth)