Thursday 16 August 1945
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1945). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Sheila (singer) and Suzanne Farrell.
Love Letters, directed by William Dieterle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1945
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1945!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1945 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Sheila (singer)
- Suzanne Farrell: American professional ballet dancer accepted at 15 as a member of the New York City Ballet and protégé of director George Ballanchine, who became enchanted and obsessed with her.
- Janot Lamberton: French 'glacionaute' (a caver who specializes in the exploration of glaciers).
- Bob Balaban: Chicago, Illinois -- Actor / director (2010, Girlfriends).
- Kevin Ayers: England, United Kingdom -- Progressive rocker (Joy of a Toy).
- Suzanne Farrell in Cincinnati: Ohio, USA; dancer (Don Quioxote).
- Robert Balaban in Chicago: Illinois, USA; actor (Absence of Malice, Altered States).
- Khaleda Zia: Statesman.
- Moria Casan: Argentine actress and TV personality.
- Sheila : French pop singer, she also performed under the name " Sheila and B. Devotion".
- Russell Brookes: English race car driver.
- Jim Blaikie: American homicide, a swindler and con man now in prison.
- Alain Juppe: Politician.
- Gary Loizzo: Chicago, Illinois -- Rock guitarist (American Breed).
- Gordon "Snowy" Fleet: Merseyside -- Rock drummer (Easybeats).
- An assassination attempt is made on Japan's prime minister, Kantaro Suzuki.
- Puyi, the last Chinese emperor and ruler of Manchukuo, is captured by Soviet troops.