Thursday August 16, 1951
US date format: 8/16/1951, UK date format: 16/8/1951
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see birth chart on August 16, 1951). The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Clement Attlee (Labour), Pope Pius XII was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Louis Normandin and Umaru Yar'Adua.
Criminal Lawyer, directed by Seymour Friedman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1951
while Nature'S Ways by Roy Chapman Andrews was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Lighter Side.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of August 16, 1951?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Louis Jouvet: French theater director, producer,...
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 16, 1951?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Georgia Gibbs - While You Danced, Danced, Danced (I Walked In With A Smile)
- Les Paul & Mary Ford - The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise
- Les Paul - Whispering
- Guy Mitchell - Belle, Belle, My Liberty Belle
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free