Monday 16 May 2011
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Midnight in Paris, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Último a Sair.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Deadliest Warrior: Legends or Thor: Son of Asgard.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 May 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 May 2011 ?
- Saint HonorT of Amiens
- Saint Andrew Bobola
- Saint Ubaldus
- Adelaide Cup day - South Australia (2005).
- Saint Simon Stock
- Saint John Nepomuk or John Nepomucene (1330 - 1393)
- Saint Brendan the Navigator - also in the Irish Calendar.
- Teacher's Day in Malaysia.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 May
- The European Union agree to €78ampnbspbillion rescue deal for Portugal. The bailout loan will be equally split between the European Financial Stabilisation Mechanism, the European Financial Stability Facility, and the International Monetary Fund.
- Gunmen fire on a Saudi Arabian consulate car in Karachi, Pakistan, killing the driver. (''Pakistan Express-Tribune'')
- The Israeli Navy fires warning shots at a Malaysian ship travelling to the Gaza Strip, forcing it to return to Egypt. (AFP via Google)
- A Syrian activist claims that a mass grave has been found in the town of Deraa, the town at the centre of the 2011 Syrian uprising. (Al_Arabiya)
- NATO forces find a small boat loaded with explosives outside the Libyan port of Misrata, with forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi believed to be responsible. (Reuters)
- Four members of the United States Army are killed by a bomb in southern Afghanistan. (AP via ''Anchorage Daily News'')
- Irish republican dissidents have issued a bomb threat for London, the first coded warning outside Northern Ireland in 10 years, officials have said. (BBC)
- The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in the Vatican tells Roman Catholics to cooperate with police in investigating alleged cases of sexual abuse by clergy. (AP)
- The Fox TV network cancels ''America's Most Wanted'' after 23 years on the air and 1151 fugitives caught. (Fox40)
- The Sahara Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, closes down after 59 years of operation. (Yahoo)
- European Union finance ministers approve a 78 billion euro bailout package for Portugal (Bloomberg)
- The International Monetary Fund approves another US$2 billion loan to Ireland. (Reuters)
- Nasdaq OMX Group and the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE) withdraw their hostile bid for NYSE Euronext, apparently leaving a clear path for NYSE's friendly merger with Deutsche Boerse AG. (Reuters)
- 2011 Mississippi River floods
- It is reported that the Waterford Nuclear Generating Station in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana, USA, was restarted three days ago after a refueling shutdown on April 5, as the floodwaters are diverted to the Atchafalaya River. ( (MSNBC)
- The United States Coast Guard closes 15 miles of the Mississippi River near Natchez, Mississippi. (Reuters)
- At least one person is killed and at least six injured following a building collapse in the US town of Morrilton, Arkansas. (Fox 16)
- A wildfire destroys one third of the Canadian town of Slave Lake, Alberta. (News 1130)
- The High Court of Kuala Lumpur rules that Malaysian Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim has a case to answer on sodomy charges. (BBC)
- International Monetary Fund head Dominique Strauss-Kahn is ordered to be held without bail on sexual assault charges in New York City. (Bloomberg)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 16 May 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?