Thursday 16 June 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Drive, directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Bossypants by Tina Fey was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Chris Gethard Show.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Black Rock Shooter: The Game or Blobster.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 June 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 June 2011 ?
- South Africa - Youth Day.
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John Regis, patron of medical social workers.
- Bloomsday, in honour of Leopold Bloom, the hero of James Joyce's Ulysses set on 16 June, 1904.
- 16 June Movement
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 June
- Ayman al-Zawahiri is selected as the successor of leadership of al-Qaeda succeeding Osama bin Laden (CNN)
- Web sites associated with the Government of Malaysia are hacked according to a deadline set by the Anonymous group. (''Malaysia Star'')
- Sections of the British media report that Prince Harry of Wales has been cleared to return to service in the Afghan War. (Sky News)
- Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli is hit by a NATO bombing raid. (BBC)
- The BBC apologises to clothing retailer Primark for a ''Panorama'' documentary showing boys in a Bangalore clothing workshop. (BBC)
- British comedians Matt Lucas and David Walliams end their partnership which led to successful television shows ''Come Fly With Me'' and ''Little Britain''. (''The Herald-Sun'')
- Software company Oracle announces that it is looking for damages ampquotin the billions of dollarsampquot from Google in an ongoing patent law action over the smartphone. (Reuters)
- Australian airlines QANTAS and Virgin Australia cancel flights to New Zealand and postpone flights to Argentina due to the continued presence of volcanic ash from the 2011 Puyehue eruption. (Marketwatch)
- A strong earthquake of 6.6 magnitude occurs off the coast of New Britain in Papua New Guinea but no tsunami warning is issued. (AP)
- Traces of dioxin are found in stream waters near the United States Army base Camp Carroll in South Korea where drums of Agent Orange were allegedly dumped three decades ago. (Yonhap)
- An Indonesian court delivers a guilty verdict in the terrorism trial of radical Muslim cleric Abu Bakar Bashir in the Sοuth Jakarta District Court and sentenced to 15 years in prison. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Simon Overland resigns as the Chief Commissioner of Police in the Australian state of Victoria following the release of a damning Ombudsman's report on the release of dodgy crime statistics before the 2010 Victorian election. (''Herald Sun'')
- A senior aide and consultant to former Governor of the U.S. state of Maryland Bob Ehrlich are indicted in connection to robocalls in the 2010 Maryland gubernatorial election. (''Washington Post'')
- Both houses of the Parliament of Australia vote to condemn a proposal to send asylum seekers to Malaysia. (ABC News Australia)
- U.S. Representative Anthony Weiner of New York resigns his office amidst pressure from Democratic leadership and President Barack Obama after admitting to sending lewd photos via Twitter. (NPR)
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?