Tuesday 24 May 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Gemini (see planets position on May 24, 2011). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
17 Miracles, directed by T.C. Christensen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while She Walks In Beauty by Caroline Kennedy was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Division.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team or The Cursed Crusade.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 May 2011
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 May 2011!
Which were the important events of 24 May 2011 ?
- Aldersgate Day (Methodism).
- Canada: Victoria Day, on this date or the Monday before it. In Quebec, it is known as National Patriotes Day (JournTe nationale des patriotes). The holiday is often referred to as "May Two-Four," -- a "two-four" being slang for a case of beer with 24 bottles or cans.
- Bermuda: Bermuda Day.
- Eritrea: National Day.
- Macedonia: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Macedonian Script and Culture Day.
- Saints Donatianus and Rogatianus
- Saint Amadl
- Saint Suzanna
- Mary, Help of the Christians
- Saint Sarah is celebrated in Camargue, France by the Roma or Gypsies.
- Bulgaria: Saints Cyril and Methodius Day celebrated as Bulgarian Education and Culture, and Slavonic Script Day.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 May
- Clashes break out in southern Tunisia between local residents and Libyan refugees fleeing that country's civil war. (Reuters)
- Fresh clashes take place in Yemen between police and opposition tribesmen who have taken control of several government buildings in the capital Sana'a. (AFP via Google News)
- Smoke is seen rising from Muammar Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli, Libya, following a NATO airstrike which reportedly kills three people. (AFP via News Limited)
- A suicide bomber attacks the headquarters of Kazakhstan's security service, causing casualties. (AFP via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- A roadside bomb in Afghanistan's Kandahar Province kills ten people and injures 28. (AP via ''Houston Chronicle'')
- 2011 Syrian protests
- Human rights organisations estimate that the Government of Syria has killed 1,000 civilians so far during the protests. (Al Jazeera)
- Situation in Sudan:
- The United Nations claims that about 20,000 people have fled the Abyei region for Agok in Southern Sudan after Sudanese forces took control. (Reuters)
- A southern minister in Sudan's national government, Luka Biong Deng, resigns over the incident. (BBC)
- US television personality Oprah Winfrey records the final episode of ''The Oprah Winfrey Show''. (''Herald-Sun'')
- Gearbox Software announces that the video game ''Duke Nukem Forever'', infamous for its 14-year development cycle, has gone gold and will (presumably) meet its current release date of June. (Engadget.com)
- The Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) claims that three reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant suffered partial meltdowns following the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami it had previously announced that only one reactor had suffered a meltdown. (DPA via ''The Hindu'')
- Ash from the Grímsvötn volcanic eruption continues to spread over the United Kingdom and Western Europe leading to cancellation of up to 500 airline flights. (''New York Times'')
- An explosion at an Abadan oil refinery in southwestern Iran during a visit by the President of Iran Mahmoud Ahmadinejad leads to a fire killing two workers and injuring 20. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- May 2011 tornado outbreak in the Central United States
- The search continues for survivors of the 2011 Joplin tornado as 1,500 people are unaccounted for in the US town. (''New York Times'')
- At least five people die and many more are injured as tornadoes and severe storms hit near the US city of Oklahoma City. (''The Oklahoman'')
- Two people are killed in a tornado in central Kansas. (''Wichita Eagle'')
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addresses a joint session of the United States Congress and says he is prepared to make ampquotfar-reaching compromisesampquot for a peace deal with Palestinians, but states that Israel will not return to its pre-1967 borders. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
What news were making the headlines those days in May 2011?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Sure Thing - Miguel
- Motivation - Kelly Rowland Featuring Lil Wayne
- Look At Me Now - Chris Brown Featuring Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes
- Far Away - Marsha Ambrosius
- All Of The Lights - Kanye West
- My Last - Big Sean Featuring Chris Brown
- Racks - YC Featuring Future
- She Ain't You - Chris Brown
- Did It On'em - Nicki Minaj
- Hustle Hard - Ace Hood
Top #10 Latin songs
- You - Romeo Santos
- Lluvia Al Corazon - Mana
- Te Amo y Te Amo - La Adictiva Banda San Jose de Mesillas
- Me Encantaria - Fidel Rueda
- Corazon Sin Cara - Prince Royce
- Violento - Gracias A Dios
- Ven A Bailar - Jennifer Lopez Featuring Pitbull
- El Culpable - Espinoza Paz
- Danza Kuduro - Don Omar & Lucenzo
- Cuanto Me Cuesta - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
Top #10 Rock songs
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $40.51
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $101.71
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $86.10
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $35.62
- 1 CHF = 7.3877 CNY
- 1 CAD = 6.6566 CNY
- 1 CAD = 0.9008 CHF
- 1 AUD = 6.858 CNY
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?