Wednesday 18 May 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 18, 2011). The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
X-Men: First Class, directed by Matthew Vaughn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while I'M Over All That by Shirley MacLaine was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Division.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Army Attack or Conduit 2.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 18 May 2011
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 18 May 2011!
Which were the important events of 18 May 2011 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 18 May
- Three Tunisian security officers are killed in a clash with gunmen in the north of the country. (IOL)
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- Forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi shell towns and villages in the western mountains in an attempt to capture higher ground. (Al Jazeera)
- Sources from the Tunisian defence ministry claim that Gaddafi's wife and daughter have fled there. (Reuters)
- Militants attack a checkpoint near the city of Peshawar in northwest Pakistan, resulting in the deaths of two police officers and 15 insurgents. (AP via ''Houston Chronicle'')
- Iran frees detained Al-Jazeera journalist Dorothy Parvaz, who had not been seen since being detained in Syria on April 29. (''Seattle Times'')
- At least twelve people are killed and 80 injured during a protest in the Afghan city of Taloqan against the killing of four civilians in a NATO raid. (BBC)
- The United Nations claims that Sudan has bombed a village in Darfur. (BBC)
- American novelist Philip Roth wins the Man Booker International Prize, recognizing his body of work. (AP via ABC News America)
- Moody's Investors Service cuts the credit ratings of Australia's four major banks, the Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, National Australia Bank and ANZ, to Aa1, due to their reliance on wholesale funding. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Fifteen people are killed after two buses collide in Mwanza Province, northern Tanzania. (IOL)
- The United States Coast Guard reopens a section of the Mississippi River to shipping that was closed on Tuesday as a result of the 2011 Mississippi River floods. (BBC)
- A tornado hits the US city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for the first time since 1999. (NBC Philadelphia)
- Sol Líneas Aéreas Flight 5428 aircraft crashes in the southern Patagonia region of Argentina with all 22 people on board dying - icing of the propellor driven Saab 340 is cited as a possible cause. (AP via MSNBC)
- The Palestinian Authority calls on Israel to reinstate the rights of up to 140,000 people who lived in the occupied West Bank and lost their residency after travelling abroad. (BBC)
- Dmitry Medvedev, the President of Russia, warns of a potential new Cold War if the United States does not listen to Russia's concerns about its proposed missile defense system. (AFP via Google News)
- UK royal state visit to Ireland: Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom visits Croke Park in Dublin, where British troops killed 20 people in the Bloody Sunday massacre of 1920. (Sky News)
- Ali Akbar Salehi, the Foreign Affairs Minister of Iran, claims that the Bushehr Nuclear Power Plant is operational. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- Andrew Fastow, the former Chief Financial Officer of Enron Corp., now in the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons with a release date of December 17, 2011, moves to a half-way house in Houston, Texas. (Reuters)
- The jury is seated for the trial of Chicago businessman Tahawwur Hussain Rana for his alleged role in the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks. (AP via ''Silicon Valley Mercury News'')
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 18 May 2011
Le ChampionnatFootball (France)
- Bordeaux - Paris SG : 1 - 0
- Lille - Sochaux : 1 - 0
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 R&B songs
- Look At Me Now - Chris Brown Featuring Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes
- Sure Thing - Miguel
- Motivation - Kelly Rowland Featuring Lil Wayne
- Far Away - Marsha Ambrosius
- All Of The Lights - Kanye West
- Racks - YC Featuring Future
- Did It On'em - Nicki Minaj
- She Ain't You - Chris Brown
- Roll Up - Wiz Khalifa
- My Last - Big Sean Featuring Chris Brown
Top #10 Latin songs
- Lluvia Al Corazon - Mana
- Corazon Sin Cara - Prince Royce
- Me Encantaria - Fidel Rueda
- Violento - Gracias A Dios
- Te Amo y Te Amo - La Adictiva Banda San Jose de Mesillas
- El Culpable - Espinoza Paz
- Ven A Bailar - Jennifer Lopez Featuring Pitbull
- Danza Kuduro - Don Omar & Lucenzo
- Taboo - Don Omar
- Cuanto Me Cuesta - La Arrolladora Banda el Limon de Rene Camacho
Top #10 Rock songs
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
James Chanos, president and founder of Kynikos Associates, weighs in on analyst Meredith Whitney's call on the risk in muni-bonds. [..]
When Delta acquired Northwest three years ago, executives did not fully anticipate the thousands of tiny details that can make the difference between a successful merger and a failed one. [..]
- Gilead Sciences GILD: opens at $40.36
- Union Pacific UNP: opens at $100.13
- United Technologies UTX: opens at $87.05
- HP Inc. HPQ: opens at $36.63
- 1 CHF = 7.384 CNY
- 1 CAD = 6.7062 CNY
- 1 CAD = 0.9081 CHF
- 1 AUD = 6.919 CNY
Which movies you probably rented those days on VHS/DVD to spend a great night?