Saturday 21 May 2011
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
X-Men: First Class, directed by Matthew Vaughn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Último a Sair.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dragon Age II or Café 0: The Drowned Mermaid.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 May 2011!
Which were the important events of 21 May 2011 ?
- Saint Constantine the Great
- Saints Constantine and Helena
- Saint Mireille
- Saint Charles-EugFne de Mazenod
- Dia de la Afrocolombianidad marks the abolition of slavery in Colombia.
- Navy Day (Dfa de las Glorias Navales) in Chile.
- Saint Goderik
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 21 May
- Other anti-government protests:
- ''Dawn'', Pakistan's largest English-language newspaper, begins publication of thousands of U.S. diplomatic cables it has obtained in a deal with WikiLeaks and Julian Assange. The cables show that the Pakistani military asked the United States to increase its drone attacks against insurgents on Pakistani territory, a request Pakistani authorities have not admitted in public. (Al Jazeera)
- Arab Spring:
- 2011–2012 Syrian uprising:
- Several people are killed and dozens of others are injured in Homs as Syrian security forces attack the funeral of protesters killed in yesterday's protest events during the country's uprising against the regime. (Al Jazeera)
- The Syrian regime attacks women protesters, shooting them dead during all-women marches and arresting the female relatives of male protesters. (''The Guardian'')
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- The cities of Yafran and al-Qalaa in the Nafusa Mountains are in critical condition following ongoing attacks by Muammar Gaddafi's forces, with heavy artillery shelling continuing, water supplies shut off, and no food or medical supplies coming into the towns for weeks. (CNN)
- A bus carrying foreign journalists is attacked by a pro-Muammar Gaddafi crowd soldiers fire into the air to disperse the crowd. (Reuters)
- 2011 Egyptian revolution:
- Scuffles in court (as families reportedly yell ampquotButcher! Butcher!ampquot) lead to the postponement of the trial of Hosni Mubarak's former interior minister Habib el-Adly and six others after ampquotthree or four minutesampquot. Habib el-Adly is accused of massacring people who demonstrated against the Mubarak regime, prior to its downfall as a result of a popular revolution in February 2011. (Al Jazeera)
- Egyptian border guards shoot and injure an Eritrean woman as she attempts to cross into Israel. (''Journal of Turkish Weekly'')
- 2011–2012 Spanish protests: Thousands of people defy a government ban on gatherings to protest across the country against the Spanish government's economic policies. (BBC)
- 2011 Georgian protests:
- More than 10,000 Georgians protest against the regime of Mikheil Saakashvili. Protests are led by Nino Burjanadze, ex-parliamentary speaker and leader of the Democratic Movement-United Georgia party. (''Civil.ge'')
- Police clash with protesters in Batumi. (''Civil.ge'')
- Hackers attack the website of the Georgian opposition TV station Maestro. (''Interfax'')
- At least 15 people are killed near the town of Landi Kotal in Pakistan after a bomb destroys an Afghanistan-bound oil tanker. (AFP via WA Today)
- A bomb explodes in a bank in the city centre of Derry, Northern Ireland no damage is done. (BBC)
- Sudanese invasion of Abyei:
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 21 May 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?