Friday September 16, 1988
US date format: 9/16/1988, UK date format: 16/9/1988
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 16, 1988). The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Prince Ea and Sarah Steele.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses.
In UK Groovy Kind Of Love by Phil Collins was in the top 5 hits.
Spellbinder, directed by Janet Greek, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1988
while Senatorial Privilege by Leo Damore was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Scruples.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Airwolf or Final Fantasy II.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 16, 1988?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- See more
- Cin Reds Tom Browning pitches a perfect game, beats Dodgers, 1-0
- Fish leaves rock group Marillion
- Jury awards Valerie Harper $1.6 M in dispute over TV series
- Tom Browning of the Cincinnati Reds pitches a perfect game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, in his 1-0 victory. Over three starts he retires 40 consecutive batters - one shy of a major league record.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 16, 1988?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine
- Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible
- Huey Lewis & The News - Perfect World
- Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy (Edit)
- Taylor Dayne - I'll Always Love You
- Van Halen - When It's Love
- New Edition - If It Isn't Love
- Kenny Loggins - Nobody's Fool
- Def Leppard - Love Bites
- Rick Astley - It Would Take A Strong Strong Man
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Michael Jackson - Another Part Of Me
- Jeffrey Osborne - She's On The Left
- Pebbles - Take Your Time
- Salt-N-Pepa Featuring E.U. - Shake Your Thang
- James Brown - Static
- Keith Sweat (Duet With Jacci McGhee) - Make It Last Forever
- Levert - Addicted To You
- Freddie Jackson - Nice 'N' Slow
- Tony Toni Tone - Born Not To Know
- George Michael - Monkey
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next September 16If September 16, 1988 is your birthday you're 32 years, 14 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 11 months, 17 days.
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?
Frequently Asked Questions
What day of the week was on September 16, 1988?
On September 16, 1988 the day of the week was Friday.
What zodiac sign is September 16, 1988?
On September 16, 1988 the zodiac sign was Virgo.
Who was the US President on September 16, 1988?
On September 16, 1988 the US President was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Who was the UK Prime Minister on September 16, 1988?
On September 16, 1988 the UK Prime Minister was Margaret Thatcher (Conservative).
Who was the Pope on September 16, 1988?
On September 16, 1988 Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
Which famous people are born on September 16, 1988?
On September 16, 1988 several famous people were born including, Prince Ea, Sarah Steele, Teddy Geiger.
What was the number one song in September 16, 1988?
The number one song in the week of September 16, 1988 was Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses in US and Groovy Kind Of Love by Phil Collins in UK.
What were the top hits on September 16, 1988?
The top hits on September 16, 1988 were Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses, Simply Irresistible by Robert Palmer, Perfect World by Huey Lewis & The News in US and Groovy Kind Of Love by Phil Collins, He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother by The Hollies, Teardrops by Womack & Womack in UK.