Friday 17 September 1926
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Jean-Marie Lustiger and Jack McDuff.
Dog Gone, directed by Mark Stouffer, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1926
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1926!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1926 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Jean-Marie Lustiger: French cardinal who converted from Judaism to Roman Catholicism at the age of 13 and went on to become archbishop (1981–2005) of Paris, the head of the Roman Catholic Church in France.
- Jack McDuff: American singer and organist (d. 2001).
- Bill Black: American bass player and bandleader (The Blue Moon Boys) (d. 1965).
- Reginald Marsh: Actor (Sicilians, It Happened Here).
- Hovie Lister: American minister and pianist (The Statesmen Quartet and Masters V) (d. 2001).
- Curtis Harrington: American actor director and screenwriter (d. 2007).
- Jean Domenge: Lille Journalist.
- August Sauer: Austria literature historian, dies at 70.
- Hurricane hits Miami and Palm Beach Florida; about 450 die
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1926 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Al Jolson - When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob-Bob-Bobbin' Along
- Only You and Lonely Me - Ben Selvin & His Orchestra
- Valencia (A Song of Spain) - Revelers
- Mountain Greenery - Roger Wolfe Kahn & His Orchestra
- Where'd You Get Thoes Eyes? - Ted Lewis & His Band