Tuesday 17 November 1936
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Leni van Rijn-Vellekoop and Dahlia Ravikovitch.
The Plainsman, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
while White Banners by Lloyd C. Douglas was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching London Characters.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 November 1936!
Which were the important events of 17 November 1936 ?
- Slovakia - Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day commemorating the beginning of the Velvet Revolution in 1989.
- Life Day
- International Students Day
- R.C. Saints - Elisabeth of Hungary; Gregory of Tours; Hilda of Whitby; Hugh of Lincoln
- Also see November 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Leni van Rijn-Vellekoop: Dutch MP (PvdA).
- Dahlia Ravikovitch: Israeli poet (d. 2005).
- Frédy Girardet: Swiss chef and restaurateur of his own self-named restaurant in Crissier, Switzerland, until his retirement in 1996, often called "the greatest restaurant in the world".
- Crispian Hollis: English bishop.
- Hisashi Igawa: Japanese actor.
- Ernestine Schumann-Heink: Austrian opera singer who sang oratorios, concerts, in movies and vaudeville.
- Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy become overnight success on radio
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1936 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- It's De-Lovely - Eddy Duchin & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?