Sunday 17 October 1926
It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Beverly Garland in Santa Cruz and Julie Adams in Waterloo.
The Great K & A Train Robbery, directed by Lewis Seiler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
while Sorrell and Son by Warwick Deeping was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1926!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1926 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Beverly Garland in Santa Cruz: California, USA; actress (My Three Sons).
- Julie Adams in Waterloo: Iowa, USA; actress (Yancy Derringer, Code Red).
- Karl Gordon Henize: Cincinnati, Ohio -- Astronaut (STS 51-F).
- Karl G Henize in Cincinnati: Ohio, USA; astronaut (STS 51F).
- Archibald Duncan: Scottish professor of history and literature in Glasgow University.
- Karl Henize: American scientist, selected for astronaut training in August 1967 but he never went into space. During the summer of 1985, Henize was scheduled for the 19th shuttle mission aboard the Challenger; however the liftoff failed on the first attempt. Two weeks later on 7/29/1985, Challenger finally lifted off, but due to engine problems was unable to reach the planned orbit. Despite this, they spent eight days doing various experiments, and their mission was deemed a success.
- Julie Adams: American actress
- Beverly Garland: American actress (d. 2008)
- Roberto Lippi: Italian race car driver (d. 2011)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1926 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Looking at the World Thro' Rose-Colored Glasses - Fred Waring's Pennsylvanians
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?