Wednesday 17 October 1956
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Henri Giscard d'Estaing and Robin LO Linschoten.
In UK A Woman In Love by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
I Vitelloni, directed by Federico Fellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Nun'S Story by Kathryn Hulme was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Tales of the 77th Bengal Lancers.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1956!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the important events of 17 October 1956 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Henri Giscard d'Estaing: French business figure and son of former French President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing.
- Robin LO Linschoten: Dutch ass.
- Mae C Jemison in Decatur Alabama USA medical doctor astronaut (Sked: STS 47).
- Patrick McCrory: American politician.
- Fran Cosmo: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Boston and Orion the Hunter).
- Mae Jemison: American physician academic and astronaut.
- Pat McCrory: American businessman and politician 74th Governor of North Carolina.
- Anne Crawford: Israeli-English actress (d. 1956).
- Pakistan defeat Australia by nine wickets at 1st attempt
- The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in Sellafield,in Cumbria, England.
- The Game of the Century: 13-year-old Bobby Fischer beats GM Donald Byrne in the NY Rosenwald chess tournament.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1956 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?