Wednesday 17 October 1956
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra (see planets position on October 17, 1956). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Henri Giscard d'Estaing and Mae C Jemison in Decatur Alabama USA medical doctor astronaut (Sked.
In UK A Woman In Love by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The Brave One, directed by Irving Rapper, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Ninth Wave by Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Other Man.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 October 1956
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 1956!
Which were the important events of 17 October 1956 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
- Henri Giscard d'Estaing: French business figure and son of former French President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing.
- Mae C Jemison in Decatur Alabama USA medical doctor astronaut (Sked: STS 47).
- Patrick McCrory: American politician.
- Robin LO Linschoten: Dutch ass.
- Mae Jemison: American physician academic and astronaut.
- Pat McCrory: American businessman and politician 74th Governor of North Carolina.
- Fran Cosmo: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Boston and Orion the Hunter).
- Anne Crawford: Israeli-English actress (d. 1956).
- Pakistan defeat Australia by nine wickets at 1st attempt
- The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in Sellafield,in Cumbria, England.
- The Game of the Century: 13-year-old Bobby Fischer beats GM Donald Byrne in the NY Rosenwald chess tournament.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1956 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Frankie Laine - A Woman In Love
- Anne Shelton - Lay Down Your Arms
- Elvis Presley - Hound Dog
- Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) - Doris Day
- Freddie Bell & The Bellboys - Giddy-Up-A-Ding-Dong
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?