Monday 17 September 1928
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1928). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Roddy McDowall and Charles Selecman.
Beggars of Life, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1928
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1928!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1928 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Roddy McDowall: British child actor who came to Hollywood in 1940 and developed into an unpredictable adult performer, skilled in any variety of roles.
- Maurice Prat: France sport Champion.
- Charles Selecman: Dallas EXecutives.
- Park Honan: American author and academic (d. 2014).
- Brian Matthew: British disc jockey.
- 48th US Mens Tennis: Henri Cochet beats F T Hunter (46 64 36 75 63)
- Henri Cochet wins US Tennis Open
- Hurricane hits Lake Okeechobee, Florida, USA drowning 1,800-2500.
- Pitcher Ray Boggs hits three batters in one inning.
- The Okeechobee Hurricane strikes southeastern Florida, killing upwards of 2,500 people. It is the third deadliest natural disaster in United States history, behind the Galveston Hurricane of 1900 and the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.