Monday 17 September 1956
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1956). The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Big Brother Karen and Aaron Lustig.
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
Teenage Wolfpack, directed by Georg Tressler, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Beyond The Black Stump by Nevil Shute was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching David Copperfield.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1956
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1956!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1956 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Big Brother Karen
- Aaron Lustig
- Karen Fowler: American contestant on a TV game show called Big Brother, a show set in "real time.
- Rita Rudner: American comedian.
- Mandawuy Yunupingu: Australian singer-songwriter and guitarist (Yothu Yindi) (d. 2013).
- Thad Bosley: American major league baseball player.
- Brian Andreas: American writer, sculptor, painter and publisher.
- Mildred E "Babe" Didrikson Zaharias: (1932 Olympics - Gold Medalist), dies at 42.
- Black students enter Clay Ky elementary school
- Television is first broadcast in Australia.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) - Doris Day
- Anne Shelton - Lay Down Your Arms
- Rockin' Through The Rye - Bill Haley & His Comets
- Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Tony Martin - Walk Hand In Hand
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?