Sunday 17 September 2006
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include India Tanovic .
In that special week of September people in US were listening to SexyBack by Justin Timberlake.
In UK I Don't Feel Like Dancin' by Scissor Sisters was in the top 5 hits.
The Lives of Others, directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while To Distraction by Stephanie Laurens was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Scuba Bob's Ocean Quest.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Backyard Basketball 2007 or 3rd World Farmer.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 2006!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 17 September 2006 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- India Tanovic: French-born child of noted director, Danis Tanovic.
- Fourpeaked Mountain in Alaska erupts, marking the first eruption for the long-dormant volcano in at least 10,000 years.
- Five basketball players at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania are shot on campus after they tried to calm a disturbed man at a dance in the Student Union. Three of the five are hospitalized, with one in critical condition. (ESPN)
- Recent expeditions by Conservation International and the government of Indonesia revealed a ampquotLost Worldampquot of nearly 60 new species near Bird's Head Seascape of the Coral Triangle. The species include a ampquotwalking sharkampquot, 20 new corals, 8 shrimp species, and 24 new fish species including one that can ampquotflashampquot colors. (ABC)
- The Associated Press claims that Bilal Hussein, an AP photographer and Iraqi citizen, has been held for five months in a United States military prison without charges against him. AP claims they tried to have Hussein released quietly, but when that failed, they went public. (MSNBC)
- Pope Benedict XVI states that he is ampquotdeeply sorryampquot about the angry reaction from his comments and says that his remarks came from a text that didn't reflect his personal opinion. (BBC - full text of apology)
- A Roman Catholic nun, who worked as a nurse for SOS Children's Villages, and her bodyguard are shot dead by gunmen in Mogadishu. (Reuters)
- Pacific Hurricane Lane is downgraded to a tropical storm. (ABC News)
- Four people are dead and 62 are wounded when five bomb blasts go off in the southern Thailand city of Hat Yai. (AFP via Yahoo! News)
- A global day of action, dubbed the 'International Day for Darfur' by Amnesty International, takes place with prayer vigils and demonstrations in 30 of the world's cities to highlight the plight of refugees and victims of genocide in the region. (BBC)
- Hosts Germany fought back from 3-1 down to beat Olympic champions Australia 4-3 and retain their World Cup title in the 11. edition of the field hockey World Cup. (BBC)
- Eva Avila wins the 4th season of Canadian Idol.
- After 11 years of broadcasting, the WB and UPN networks close down permanently. The WB had a Night of Farewells while UPN went quietly.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 17 September 2006
Serie AItalian Football
- Ascoli - Messina : 1 - 1
- Catania - Atalanta : 0 - 0
- Empoli - Chievo : 1 - 1
- Lazio - Palermo : 1 - 2
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Gent - Waregem : 1 - 1
- Roeselare - Genk : 3 - 3
- Standard - FC Brussels : 2 - 1
- St Truiden - Club Brugge : 2 - 3
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Ein Frankfurt - Leverkusen : 3 - 1
- Hertha - Schalke 04 : 2 - 0
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Erzgebirge Aue - Greuther Furth : 0 - 3
- Karlsruhe - Duisburg : 3 - 3
- Koblenz - Burghausen : 1 - 2
- Munich 1860 - Freiburg : 1 - 1
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?