Wednesday 24 December 1919, Christmas Eve
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carl Hoffman and Pierre Soulages.
When the Clouds Roll by, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
while The Arrow of Gold by Joseph Conrad was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1919!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1919 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Carl Hoffman: American military man, a career Marine who rose to the ranks of Major General.
- Pierre Soulages: French painter who was one of the most important of a group of abstract artists out of Paris who came into prominence after WW II.
- Qateel Shifai: Pakistani poet and songwriter (d. 2001).
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1919 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody - Sam Ash
- Roses of Picardy - John McCormack
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?