Wednesday 24 December 1919, Christmas Eve
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn (see planets position on December 24, 1919). The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Pierre Soulages and Carl Hoffman.
Spring Fever, directed by Edward Sedgwick, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 24 December 1919
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1919!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1919 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Pierre Soulages: French painter who was one of the most important of a group of abstract artists out of Paris who came into prominence after WW II.
- Carl Hoffman: American military man, a career Marine who rose to the ranks of Major General.
- Qateel Shifai: Pakistani poet and songwriter (d. 2001).