Friday 24 December 1943, Christmas Eve
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Christiane Schmidtmer and Tatton Sykes.
A Guy Named Joe, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
while So Little Time by John P. Marquand was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Voice of Firestone Televues.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1943!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1943 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Christiane Schmidtmer: Heidelberg, Germany -- Actress (Ship of Fools).
- Tatton Sykes: English Baron / large landowner.
- Tarja Halonen: Finnish politician, the first Finnish woman president.
- Noëlla Pontois: French dancer, a famed ballerina.
- Christian Raymond: French road bicycle racer, who won a stage in the 1970 Tour de France.
- Don Ridgway: American Mensan and astrologer, the son of a Mensan born July 16, 1922 at 6 AM, Iola Ks.
- Noéla Pontois: Vendéme Dancers
- Suzy Menkes: English journalist and critic
- FDR appoints General Eisenhower Supreme Commander of Allied forces
- US President Franklin Roosevelt appoints General Dwight Eisenhower supreme commander of Allied forces.
- World War II: U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes the Supreme Allied Commander.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?