Thursday 23 December 1943
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Roelof den Ambtman and Ross Edwards.
A Guy Named Joe, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
On TV people were watching Voice of Firestone Televues.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 December 1943!
Which were the important events of 23 December 1943 ?
- Festivus (from sitcom Seinfeld)
- Oaxaca - Night of the Radishes
- Secular humanism (American) - HumanLight observed
- R.C. Saints - John Cantius ; Thorlac Thorhallsson, patron saint of Iceland
- Sweden - Birthday of Queen Silvia, an official flag day
- Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - Birthday of Akihito, the current Emperor of Japan
- Roman festivals - Larentalia, a festival in honor of Larenta
- Ancient Latvia - Ziemassvetki held
- Roelof den Ambtman: Dutch actor / director (One Evening at Eva).
- Ross Edwards: Composer.
- Stephen Wallace: Director (For Love Affair, Hunger, Mail Order Bride).
- Harry Shearer in Los Angeles: California, USA; comedian/actor (Saturday Night Live, The Simpsons, Pure Luck).
- Derek Small: rocker (Spinal Tap).
- Peter Quaife in Devon: England; rock bassist (Kinks - "Long Tall Sally").
- Silvia Sommerlath in Heidelberg: Germany; Queen of Sweden, wife of King Carl XVI Gustaf (1973-).
- Harry Shearer: American actor and director, a satirical writer. He played a rock star in the TV segment of "This is Spinal Tap" on Saturday Night Live for two seasons, moving into a weekly KCRW show.
- Silvia : German-Swedish royalty, the daughter of an industrialist father and Spanish nobility mother. She worked as a translator at the Munich Olympics in 1972.
- Ron Allen: American baseball player
- Mikhail Gromov: Russian-French mathematician and academic
- Elizabeth Hartman: Actress (Fixer, Patch of Blue), dies at 45
- Theo[dorus J] Thijssen: Dutch writer (Kees de Jongen), dies at 64.
- 1st telecast of a complete opera (Hansel & Gretel), Schenectady, New York
- Gen Montgomery told he is appointed Commandant for D-day
- First telecast of a complete opera (Hansel and Gretel), Schenectady, New York.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 23 December 1943
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?