Monday June 28, 1971
US date format: 6/28/1971, UK date format: 28/6/1971
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer (see birth chart on June 28, 1971). The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Edward Heath (Conservative), Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Elon Musk and Fabien Barthez.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to It's Too Late by Carole King.
In UK Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle Of The Road was in the top 5 hits.
Two-Lane Blacktop, directed by Monte Hellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1971
while The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Quentin Durward.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Star Trek or The Oregon Trail.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of June 28, 1971?
- Feast of St Irenaeus of Lyon
- Vidovdan, Orthodox religious holiday commemorating St. Vitus
- National Handshake Day
- Fillmore East closes
- Supreme Court (8-0) overturns draft evasion conviction of Muhammad Ali
- Assassin Jerome A. Johnson shoots Joe Colombo in the head in a middle of an Italian-American rally, putting him in a coma.
- After a successful mission aboard ''Salyut 1'', the world's first manned space station, the crew of the ''Soyuz 11'' spacecraft are killed when their air supply leaks out through a faulty valve.
- See more
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 28, 1971?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Carole King - It's Too Late
- The Raiders - Indian Reservation (The Lament Of The Cherokee Reservation Indian)
- Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose - Treat Her Like A Lady
- Carpenters - Rainy Days And Mondays
- Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds - Don't Pull Your Love
- The Honey Cone - Want Ads
- The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar
- James Taylor - You've Got A Friend
- Jerry Reed - When You're Hot, You're Hot
- Ringo Starr - It Don't Come Easy
Top #5 songs in the UK
Top #10 R&B songs
- Jean Knight - Mr. Big Stuff
- Gladys Knight And The Pips - I Don't Want To Do Wrong
- Wilson Pickett - Don't Knock My Love - Pt. 1
- Aretha Franklin - BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
- The 8th Day - She's Not Just Another Woman
- Freda Payne - Bring The Boys Home
- James Brown - Escape-ism (Part 1)
- Isaac Hayes - Never Can Say Goodbye
- The Stylistics - Stop, Look, Listen (To Your Heart)
- The Honey Cone - Want Ads
Make this day unforgettable
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next June 28If June 28, 1971 is your birthday you're 49 years, 2 months, 23 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 9 months, 8 days.
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?