Thursday 1 March 1956
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Timothy Daly in New York City and Frédéric Danloux.
In UK Sixteen Tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford was in the top 5 hits.
Doctor at Sea, directed by Ralph Thomas, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Jane Eyre.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 March 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 March 1956 ?
- Saint Eudoxia
- Self Injury Awareness Day
- Historically, March 1st was considered to be the beginning of the Roman 'work year' as January (the official first month) and February were unfit for warfare. The numerical Latin names of some months reflect this. (September = Seventh, October = Eighth, November = Ninth, December = Tenth). (see New Year).
- Korea - Independence Movement Day (Samiljeol; ???).
- Saint David's Day (National Holiday of Wales).
- Iceland - This day is called the Beer Day, but this day in 1989 beer was allowed again.
- Martisor - a seasonal holiday in Romania.
- Baba Marta - a Bulgarian custom when the Martenitsa is worn for good health and luck symbolizing the beginning of the spring season in Bulgaria.
- Eight Hours Day - Tasmania, Australia.
- Saint Albin
- Labour day - Western Australia.
- Saint Swidbert
- Bah�'f Faith - Last Day (4 or 5) of Ayy�m-i-H� (Intercalary Days) - days in the Bah�'f calendar devoted to service and gift giving.
- World Day of Prayer.
- Roman Empire - The sacred fire of Rome was renewed (See Vesta).
- Roman Empire - New Year.
- World Civil Defense Day - This Day commemorates the entry into force in 1972 of the ICDO Constitution as an inter-governmental organisation. 
- Roman Empire - Matronalia in honor of Juno.
- Independence Day in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Saint Monan, largely legendary Scottish saint.
- Timothy Daly in New York City: New York, USA; actor (Joe - Wings, Almost Grown, Diner, Made in Heaven).
- Frédéric Danloux: French racehorse trainer, who campaigned against the closure of the Maisons-Laffitte racecourse in the 1990s, which resulted in its preservation.
- Ann Gryboski: American physician who suffered domestic abuse at the hands of her husband.
- Dalia Grybauskaite: Lithuanian politician.
- Tim Daly: American actor director and producer.
- Dalia Grybauskaitė: Lithuanian politician 6th President of Lithuania
- Mark Todd: United Kingdom -- NZ equestrian 3 day event (1996 Olympics)
- The International Air Transport Association finalizes a draft of the Radiotelephony spelling alphabet for the International Civil Aviation Organization.
- Formation of the National People's Army
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?