Sunday 11 March 1956
It was Sunday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK It's Almost Tomorrow by The Dreamweavers was in the top 5 hits.
Forbidden Planet, directed by Fred McLeod Wilcox, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 March 1956!
Which were the important events of 11 March 1956 ?
- Zambia - Youth Day.
- Saint Rosina
- Saint Alberta
- Saint Vindician
- Blessed Auria
- Lesotho - Moshoeshoe Day.
- Lithuania - Reestablishment of Lithuania's Independence.
- United States - Johnny Appleseed Day, 311 Day
- Blessed John Righi
- Curtis L Brown Jr in Elizabethtown: North Carolina, USA; Major US Air Force/astronaut (STS 47, STS 66, 77, 85, 95).
- D J MacHale: American author and television writer.
- Pascal Jumel: French policeman turned gang leader, a thug who was arrested in July 1985 and sentenced in 1991 to seventeen years imprisonment for eight armed robberies committed between 1983 and 1985.
- Rob Paulsen: American voice actor.
- Willie Banks: American triple jumper.
- Curtis Brown: American colonel pilot and astronaut
- Joey Buttafuoco: American statutory rapist
- Helen Rollason: British sports journalist and television presenter (d. 1999)
- Sergey Nikiforovich Vasilenko: Russian opera composer, dies at age 83.
- Louise Suggs wins LPGA Titleholders Golf Championship.
- After having opened in London the previous year, Laurence Olivier's film, ''Richard III'', adapted from Shakespeare's play, has its U.S. premiere in theatres and on NBC Television on the same day. On TV it is not shown in prime time, but as an afternoon matinée, in a slightly cut version. It is one of the first such experiments of its kind. Olivier is later nominated for an Oscar for his performance.
- 96 U.S. Congressmen sign the Southern Manifesto, a protest against the 1954 Supreme Court ruling (''Brown v. Board of Education'') that desegregated public education.
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes above 500 for the first time rising 2.40 points, or 0.48%, to 500.24.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?