Sunday 1 November 2009
It was Sunday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of November people in US were listening to Down by Jay Sean.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, directed by Niels Arden Oplev, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 November 2009!
Which were the important events of 1 November 2009 ?
- Also see November 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Start of National Novel Writing Month
- World Vegan Day
- Mexico - The Day of the Dead
- Ireland - Samhain the traditional first day of Winter
- Algeria - National day
- Catholicism - Holy Day of Obligation, All Saints Day. Holiday in Austria, Belgium, Croatia, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Mexico, The Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia, Spain, Guatemala.
- Roman festivals - last day of the Ludi Victoriae Sullanae.
- Antigua and Barbuda - Independence Day (from Britain, 1981)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 November
- US lender CIT Group files for bankruptcy protection, arranging with bondholders to reduce debt by US$10 billion. In its filing it showed US$71 billion in finance and leasing assets against total debt of US$64.9 billion, making this the fifth biggest in US corporate history.
- At least two women are killed and six people trapped after a landslide in Los Gigantes, Tenerife. (BBC)
- South Sudan's leader, Salva Kiir, announces he will back the independence of the semi-autonomous region in a 2011 referendum. (Al Jazeera)
- A ship carrying 100 tons of hydrochloric acid sinks in a section of the Yangtze River in China's central Hubei province after colliding with another vessel. (Xinhua)
- Nigeria's main rebel group, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, threatens to call off its ceasefire with the government if foreign oil companies do not leave their land. (Al Jazeera)
- At least 14 people are dead after Typhoon Mirinae hits the Philippines. (''Philippine Inquirier'')
- Six Uyghurs detained at Guantanamo Bay detention camp are released by the United States and resettled in Palau. (Press TV)
- 11 people are killed after a Russian military cargo plane belonging to the Interior Ministry crashes in Yakutia. (Press Trust of India)
- The West Atlas oil rig that has leaked oil and gas for 10 weeks into the Timor Sea catches fire after an attempt to plug the leak. (''The Australian'')
- Several events are held to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the Gaelic Athletic Association. (RTÉ)
- Afghan Presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah pulls out of the run-off election versus Hamid Karzai due to concerns over the independence of Azizullah Lodin, the head of the Independent Election Commission. (''The Guardian'')
- Police in Italy detain two more suspected mafia bosses, one day after the seizure of their brother in a raid near Naples. (France 24)
- The composer and pianist Elton John postpones three more concerts on The Red Piano Tour, this time in the United States, due to illness. (BBC)
- U.S. Republican Party candidate Dede Scozzafava, who withdrew her bid for New York's 23rd Congressional District in the House of Representatives Friday, endorses the Democratic challenger. (''The New York Times'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?