Tuesday 17 November 2009
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of November people in US were listening to Fireflies by Owl City.
Zvenigora, directed by Aleksandr Dovzhenko, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 November 2009!
Which were the important events of 17 November 2009 ?
- Slovakia - Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day commemorating the beginning of the Velvet Revolution in 1989.
- Life Day
- International Students Day
- R.C. Saints - Elisabeth of Hungary; Gregory of Tours; Hilda of Whitby; Hugh of Lincoln
- Also see November 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- A prominent human rights campaigner for the Western Sahara region, Aminatou Haidar, who is on hunger strike at an airport in the Canary Islands, is to appear in a Spanish court on charges of public disorder. (AFP)
- The head of the opposition in Comoros is arrested after openly criticising President Ahmed Abdallah Mohamed Sambi. (IOL)
- Slovakia and the Czech Republic mark the 20th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution which overthrew the communist government of Czechoslovakia. (BBC)
- A Russian icebreaker with 100 tourists on board is stranded in ice in the Antarctic. (RIA Novosti)
- Israel approves a further 900 settler homes in a settlement in East Jerusalem. (Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
- Piracy in Somalia:
- A chemical tanker, the Singapore-operated ''MV Theresa VIII'' with 28 North Koreans on board, is seized by Somali pirates northwest of the Seychelles. (AP)
- The Spanish ship ''Alakrana'' and its crew of 36 are released after a US$3.5 million ransom is paid. (Channel News Asia)
- An inquiry into a scandal known as ampquotIndonesia's Watergateampquot says a police case against two anti-corruption officials should be dropped. (UPI)
- South African human rights activist Kumi Naidoo becomes the executive director of Greenpeace, the first African to head the organisation. (AP)
- U.S. President Barack Obama continues his first trip to China and meets with Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao. (''Asia Times Online'')
- The death toll after a ferry collided with a oil barge in the Irrawaddy Delta, off the coast of Burma, rises to 50. (Al Jazeera)
- ''The Original of Laura'', an incomplete novel by Russian writer Vladimir Nabokov, is published 32 years after his death despite his wish that its manuscript be burned. (''The Cornell Daily Sun'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?