Tuesday 1 December 2009
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Empire State Of Mind by Jay-Z.
Zvenigora, directed by Aleksandr Dovzhenko, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Under the Dome by Stephen King was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching NSFW Show.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island or Bonsai Barber.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 1 December 2009 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Barbes Diena observed
- Feast day of St Eligius
- Romania - Union Day (the national holiday)
- Angola's Pioneers' Day
- World AIDS Day
- Portugal - Restoration of Independence Day: on December 1, 1640, Portugal regains its independence from Spain and Jopo IV of Portugal becomes king.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 December
- Gustavo Adolfo Palma: Guatemalan singer (Born 1920).
- US President Barack Obama announces an additional 30,000 U.S. troops will be sent to Afghanistan, over the coming summer and fall.
- The Treaty of Lisbon, which amends the Treaty on European Union and the Treaty establishing the European Community, which together comprise the constitutional basis of European Union, comes into effect.
- Porfirio Lobo Sosa is elected President of Honduras. Turnout increases dramatically despite ousted former President Manuel Zelaya's plea for a boycott. (''Huffington Post'')
- In a major policy speech, South African President Jacob Zuma announces the country will treat all HIV positive babies and expand testing. (Al Jazeera)
- U.S. golfer Tiger Woods announces that he will not be attending his own charity golf tournament, the Chevron World Challenge, or any other tournaments in 2009. (AP via Google News)
- Maurice Clemmons, suspect in the Lakewood police officer shootings, is shot dead by police in Seattle. (BBC)
- The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office says efforts are continuing to secure the release of sailors captured by the Iranian Navy on November 25, while Iran warns it will deal with them seriously if it exposes ampquotmalicious intentampquot. (Al Jazeera)
- The International Court of Justice begins hearings into the legality of the Kosovan declaration of independence from Serbia. (BBC)
- North Korea raises the value of its currency for the first time in 17 years. (''Financial Times'')
- Tony Abbott becomes the leader of the Federal Liberal Party of Australia and Leader of the Opposition defeating Malcolm Turnbull by 42 votes to 41 following a party revolt over its position on the Rudd government's Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme. (BBC)
- The European Court of Justice acquires general jurisdiction to give preliminary rulings in the area of freedom, security and justice. (ECJ)
- The first permanent President of the European Council, Herman Van Rompuy, officially takes office. (AFP via Google News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?