Wednesday 11 November 2009, Veteran's Day
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of November people in US were listening to Whatcha Say by Jason DeRulo.
The Blind Side, directed by John Lee Hancock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching WOW Croatia.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Inscursion or Battle Poker.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 2009!
Which were the important events of 11 November 2009 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 11 November
- Dhanpat Rai Nahar: Indian labour leader (Born 1919).
- At the Greensville Correctional Center in In Jarratt, Virginia, USA, John Allen Muhammad is executed by lethal injection. Muhannad was convicted of sniper shootings that killed 10 people and terrified the Washington, D.C., region in 2002.
- Raymond Jessup is sentenced to 10 years in prison for sexual assault of an underage girl after the April 2008 raid of the YFZ Ranch in Eldorado, Texas. (UPI).
- Two bloggers from Azerbaijan, Emin Milli and Adnan Hajizade, are sentenced by a court for ampquothooliganismampquot in a restaurant scuffle linked to the posting of a satirical video dressed as a donkey on Youtube that mocked government restrictions on civil liberties. (''Taiwan News'')
- A gold mining operation is investigated by Chinese authorities after allegations it has damaged part of the Great Wall of China in Inner Mongolia. (''Times of South Africa'')
- Iran protests to Oxford University's Queen's College over a scholarship in memory of the slain Iranian student Neda Agha Soltan. (AP)
- Officials in Brazil investigate the cause of a massive power cut which may have affected a fifth of the population and neighbouring Paraguay. (''New York Times'')
- Yemen criticises ampquotinterferenceampquot by Iran in the conflict with Houthi rebels in the country, after Iran criticised Saudi Arabian intervention in the conflict. (AFP)
- Anti-monarchy protesters and riot police clash in Montreal, Quebec, during a tour by Prince Charles. (CBC)
- A Russian-born German man is sentenced to life imprisonment for fatally stabbing Marwa El-Sherbini in a court, an attack that caused uproar in the Muslim world. (Deutsche Welle)
- The discovery of a new dinosaur species, named ''Aardonyx celestae'', in South Africa is announced. (AFP)
- Cambodia rejects a request by Thailand to extradite ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. (BBC)
- South Korean troops are put on high alert for possible retaliation after a naval clash with North Korea yesterday. (AP)
- Local government offices in southern Nepal shut in protest after a senior local official is slapped by Deputy Agriculture Minister Karima Begam. (IOL)
- For the first time since World War I, the leaders of Germany and France appear together at a ceremony on Remembrance Day to commemorate the end of the conflict. (MSNBC)
- The classic Yahoo homepage retired today.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 2009 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?