Saturday 8 August 1953
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I Believe by Frankie Laine was in the top 5 hits.
The Cruel Sea, directed by Charles Frend, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1953
while The Dark Angel by Mika Waltari was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1953.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 August 1953!
Which were the important events of 8 August 1953 ?
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Dominic de Guzman, priest, (1170-1221).
- Sweden - Namesday of Queen Silvia, an Official Flag Day.
- Taiwan: Father's Day. (In Mandarin, Ba Ba means father and 8-8, or August 8).
- St. Hormisdas
- St. Smaragdus (and companions)
- St. Largus
- St. Cyriacus
- Mark Lazarowicz: English politician.
- Nigel Mansell: English race car driver.
- Don Most: American actor and director.
- Donny Most in Brooklyn: New York, USA; actor (Ralph Malph - Happy Days).
- "Sweet" Lou: Dunbar; basketball player (Harlem Globetrotters).
- US and South Korea initial a mutual security pact.
- Soviet prime minister Georgi Malenkov announces that the Soviet Union has a hydrogen bomb.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1953 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?