Monday 8 February 1960
It was Monday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Alex Scott and Dino Ciccarelli in Ontario.
In that special week of February people in US were listening to Teen Angel by Mark Dinning.
In UK Why by Anthony Newley was in the top 5 hits.
Sink the Bismarck!, directed by Lewis Gilbert, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1960
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Somerset Maugham Hour.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 February 1960!
Which were the important events of 8 February 1960 ?
- Nirvana Day - an annual Buddhist festival.
- Saint Jerome Emiliani.
- Saint Juventius
- Saint Mengold of Huy
- Saint Jacoba (d.1239)
- Slovenia - Pre?eren Day, the Slovenian cultural holiday.
- Boy Scouts of America - Scout Sunday; The Sunday preceding February 8 is designated as Scout Sunday and the following Saturday is designated as Scout Sabbath.
- Alex Scott: British horse trainer.
- Dino Ciccarelli in Ontario: Canada; NHL right wing (Minnesota North Stars, Washington Capitals).
- Linda Fratianne in Los Angeles: California, USA; figure skater (Olympics-silver-1980).
- Benigno Aquino III: Philippine President.
- Benigno Aquino: Filipino politician, the 15th President of the Philippines from June 2010.
- Alfred Gusenbauer: Austrian career politician who until 2008 spent his entire professional life as an employee of the Social Democratic Party of Austria (SPÖ) or as a parliamentary representative. He headed the SPÖ from 2000 to 2008, and served as Chancellor of Austria from January 2007 to December 2008. Since then he has pursued a career as a consultant and lecturer, and as a member of supervisory boards of Austrian companies.
- Dino Ciccarelli: Canadian ice hockey player
- Stuart Hamm: American bassist (Joe Satriani, Steve Vai)
- Congress opens hearings looking into payola
- US Congress opens hearings looking into payola.
- Boston Celtics' Bill Russell becomes first NBA player with 50 rebounds (51).
- Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom issues an Order-in-Council, stating that she and her family would be known as the House of Windsor, and that her descendants will take the name ''Mountbatten-Windsor''.
- The first eight brass star plaques are installed in the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 8 February 1960
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1960 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Mark Dinning - Teen Angel
- Johnny Preston - Running Bear
- Dion and the Belmonts - Where Or When
- Marty Robbins - El Paso
- Jimmy Jones - Handy Man
- Conway Twitty - Lonely Blue Boy
- Jack Scott - What In The World's Come Over You
- Jim Reeves - He'll Have To Go
- Frankie Avalon - Why
- Marv Johnson - You Got What It Takes
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?