Friday 11 November 2011, Veteran's Day
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Vivienne Juriga and Jacob Saydeh.
In that special week of November people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
Immortals, directed by Tarsem Singh Dhandwar, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Next List.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn or Afterfall: Insanity.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 2011!
Which were the important events of 11 November 2011 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Vivienne Juriga: American child born by Caesarean on a date of 11/11/2011.
- Jacob Saydeh: American child born on an "elevens" day (note the date and time of 11/11/11 at 11:11).
- Arab Spring:
- 2011 Syrian uprising: 250 Syrians, mostly civilians, have been killed so far this month, as the violence escalates in Syria's eight-month-old crackdown on pro-democracy protests and attacks on security forces increase. (MSNBC)
- 2011 Yemeni uprising: At least seven people die after forces loyal to the President of Yemen Ali Abdullah Saleh shell the city of Taez. A further 32 were injured. (CNN)
- An armed hijacker claiming to have a bomb takes control of a ferry on the Sea of Marmara near the Turkish port of Izmit but is later killed by the Turkish military. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- Francisco Blake Mora, the Mexican Secretary of the Interior, dies in a plane crash on a way to a meeting with judicial officials. (Huffington Post)
- The Supreme Court of Papua New Guinea issues orders for the arrest of Deputy Prime Minister Belden Namah and Attorney General Allan Marat over contempt of court charges. (AAP via Yahoo News Australia)
- The former Prime Minister of Ukraine Yulia Tymoshenko, already serving a seven-year sentence for abuse of office, is charged with tax evasion, theft and concealing foreign currency revenues. (Reuters)
- Sidney Nsubuga Enoch is jailed for 35 years in Uganda for the murder of gay activist David Kato in January. (Reuters)
- Washington Nationals baseball catcher Wilson Ramos is found alive in Venezuela near where he was kidnapped on Wednesday. (CNN)
- Michael D. Higgins is inaugurated as the ninth President of Ireland. (RTÉ)
- Danny Philip resigns as the Prime Minister of the Solomon Islands before the National Parliament votes on a no confidence motion. (ABC News Australia)
- The Senate of Italy passes austerity measures demanded by the European Union. (Reuters via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- The Gold Coast in the Australian state of Queensland is chosen as the host city for the 2018 Commonwealth Games ahead of Hambantota in Sri Lanka. (''The Australian'')
- London in the United Kingdom wins the rights to host the 2017 World Athletics Championships ahead of Doha, Qatar. (''The Guardian'')
- In Major League Baseball, the Florida Marlins officially change their name to the Miami Marlins. ESPN.com
- 2011 Southeast Asian Games, the largest multi-sport event in the region, was opened in Palembang by the President of Indonesia, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono. (''The Jakarta Post'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?