Monday 11 September 1961
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Michael by The Highwaymen.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
The City of the Dead, directed by John Moxey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 11 September 1961 ?
- Philip Ardagh: English author.
- Samina Raja: Pakistani poet and educator (d. 2012).
- Elizabeth Daily: Voice Actor.
- Virginia Madsen: Movie Actress.
- François-Xavier Bagnoud: Swiss helicopter pilot specialized in rescue operations.
- Virginia Madsen in Chicago: Illinois, USA; actress (Dune, Hot Spot, Class).
- Hurricane Carla strikes the Texas coast as a Category 4 hurricane, the second strongest storm ever to hit the state.
- Foundation of the World Wildlife Fund.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
- Elvis Presley - Little Sister
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)
- Adam Wade - As If I Didn't Know
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 11 September 1961 and get them!