Thursday 28 September 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Take Good Care Of My Baby by Bobby Vee.
In UK Johnny Remember Me by John Leyton was in the top 5 hits.
Breakfast at Tiffany's, directed by Blake Edwards, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 September 1961!
Which were the important events of 28 September 1961 ?
- Feast day of the following RC Saints Leoba
- St. Wenceslas
- French Republican Calendar - Carotte (Carrot) Day, seventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Taiwan - Teacher's Day (Confucius' birthday)
- Czech Republic - Czech Statehood Day
- Also see September 28 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Lorenzo Ruiz
- Ed Vosberg: Tucson, Arizona -- Pitcher (Texas Rangers).
- Michael-James Wixted: Santa Monica, California -- Actor (Smith Family).
- Yordanka Donkova: Bulgaria -- 100 m hurdler (world record).
- Anne White in Charleston: West Virginia, USA; tennis (wore spandex in 1985 Wimbledon).
- Quentin Kawananakoa: pretender to the throne of the Kingdom of Hawaii.
- Helen Grant: English lawyer and politician Minister for Sport and the Olympics
- Gregory Jbara: American actor and singer
- Quentin Kawānanakoa: American lawyer and politician
- Michael Shepley: Actor (Dick & the Duchess), dies at 54.
- Doctor Kildare, debuts on NBC-TV
- Hazel, starring Shirley Booth debuts on NBC-TV
- Purlie Victorious, a farce by Ossie Davis, opens on Broadway
- Ted Williams hits a HR on his last at bat
- USN Comdr Forrest S Petersen takes X-15 to 30,720 m
- A military coup in Damascus effectively ends the United Arab Republic, the union between Egypt and Syria.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby
- Dick and DeeDee - The Mountain's High
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Roy Orbison - Crying
- Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On The Bedpost Over Night) - Lonnie Donegan and His Skiffle Group
- Elvis Presley - Little Sister
- Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)
- The Jive Five - My True Story
- Johnny Tillotson - Without You
- Elvis Presley - (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?