Monday 14 December 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Sagittarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Heartaches By The Number by Guy Mitchell.
In UK What Do You Want? by Adam Faith was in the top 5 hits.
Black Orpheus, directed by Marcel Camus, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 December 1959!
Which were the important events of 14 December 1959 ?
- R.C. Saints - Memorial of Saint John of the Cross
- Franco Iglesia: in Cuba; Spanish singer.
- Bob Paris: American bodybuilder and gay rights advocate.
- Jorge Vaca: Mexican boxer.
- Maria EG "Lizzy" Ansingh Dutch painter (Cast Off): dies at age 84.
- J B Jordan in F-104C sets world altitude record, 31,513 metres.
- Archbishop Makarios proclaimed President of Cyprus.
- Makarios III is selected the first president of Cyprus.
- Pantyhose introduced by Glen Raven Mills.
- The Workers World Party is founded by Sam Marcy.
- The first known human with HIV dies in the Congo.
- The current (as of 2006) design of the Japanese 10 yen coin is put into circulation.
- The Caspian Tiger becomes extinct in Iran.
- The Henney Kilowatt goes on sale in the United States, becoming the first mass-produced electric car in almost three decades.
- Erving Goffman publishes his seminal study in sociology, ''The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life''.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?