Saturday 14 March 1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Venus by Frankie Avalon.
In UK Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by The Platters was in the top 5 hits.
The Diary of Anne Frank, directed by George Stevens, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 March 1959!
Which were the important events of 14 March 1959 ?
- Albania - Summer Day: Albanian holiday Summer is celebrated in this day in Elbasan and its surroundings.
- Pi Day - unofficial mathematics holiday.
- Roman Empire - Equirria, horse races in honor of Mars were held.
- Saint Mathildis
- Saint Paulina
- Blessed Eve of Liege
- Japan - White Day: Japanese holiday similar to Valentine's Day (men give gifts to women).
- Gerald McCra: American homicide victim, shot to death by his son Gerald Jr.
- Bruno Stabenrath: French actor, musician, and author, childhood friend of Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès.
- Steve Byrnes: American sportscaster and producer (d. 2015).
- Laila Robins: American actress.
- Tamara Tunie: American actress director and producer.
- Brian Whitfield: former South African cricketer
- Patrick Dupond: French ballet dancer, choreographer, and actor, one of the most famous and talented figures of contemporary ballet. He studied at the Paris Opera Dance School from 1970 to1975. In 1976 Dupond won the Junior Gold medal at the Varna Competition and was from then on considered the best dancer in the world. A member of the Paris Opera Ballet, he was a premier danseur in 1979, étoile since 1980. Given the French National Prize for Dance in 1982, he was director of the Paris Opera Ballet from 1990 to
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- Ritchie Valens - Donna
- David Seville - Alvin's Harmonica
- The Bell Notes - I've Had It
- Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time
- Petite Fleur (Little Flower) - Chris Barber's Jazz Band
- LaVern Baker - I Cried A Tear
- The Crests - 16 Candles
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?