Tuesday 16 August 1938
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Oleg Grigoryevich Kononenko and Ketty Lester in Hope.
You Can't Take It with You, directed by Frank Capra, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
On TV people were watching Telecrime.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1938!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1938 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Oleg Grigoryevich Kononenko: Russia -- Cosmonaut.
- Ketty Lester in Hope: Arkansas, USA; actress (Hester - Little House on the Prairie).
- James Moffett: American geologist and CEO of Freeport-McMoran, specializing in mining sulfer, gold and copper.
- Buck Rodgers: American baseball player and manager, a switch-hitting/right-throwing catcher who played with the Los Angeles / California Angels (1961–1969), and later managed the Milwaukee Brewers (1980–1982), Montreal Expos (1985–1991), and the California Angels (1991–1994).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?