Friday 16 September 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Someone Like You by Adele.
Killer Elite, directed by Gary McKendry, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 2011!
Which were the important events of 16 September 2011 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 16 September
- Authorities in South Korea arrest a North Korean citizen for an alleged assassination attempt against Park Sang-hak, a noted defector and activist. (Yonhap)
- Hurricane Maria hits the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador as a Categorynbsp1 hurricane. (National Hurricane Centre)
- Areas in Delhi, India, are flooded by heavy rain, with record rainfall recorded at Indira Gandhi International Airport. (IBN Live)
- The Prime Minister of Pakistan, Yusuf Raza Gilani, cancels a visit to the United States to address the United Nations General Assembly as a result of the 2011 Sindh floods. (Reuters)
- Four trapped coal miners are confirmed dead following a mining accident at the Gleision Colliery in South Wales. (BBC)
- 2011 Reno Air Races crash: At least 5 people are killed and at least 50 injured when a P-51D Mustang airplane crashes into the crowd at the annual Reno Air Races in Reno, Nevada, in the United States. (Reno Gazette-Journal)
- Kosovo Serbs block off two border crossings with Serbia as the Kosovo government seeks to take them over. (AFP via Google)
- The Prime Minister of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, arrives in Libya for a meeting with the National Transitional Council. (Euronews)
- The first security camera pictures are released of Anders Behring Breivik, the perpetrator of the 2011 Norway attacks. (MSNBC)
- The Ministry of Public Security of the People's Republic of China arrests more than 2,000 people in a crackdown on gang-related crime. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- UBS trader Kweku Adoboli is charged with fraud and false accounting. (BBC)
- Ecofin ministers agree on a bill on financial governance in Europe, aiming to prevent future economic crises. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- The Health Services Union disaffiliates from the Australian Labor Party in the states of New South Wales and Victoria and the Australian Capital Territory, following the commencement of a New South Wales Police Force investigation into alleged ampquotinappropriate practicesampquot by current and former union officials, including Craig Thomson, a member of the House of Representatives. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Sinn Féin's officer board gives its approval to put forward Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness as a candidate for the 2011 Irish presidential election. (BBC)
- Mahmoud Abbas, the President of the Palestinian National Authority, says he will push for full United Nations membership as a nation state for the Palestinian National Authority at the September 23 UN General Assembly meeting. (Bloomberg News via S.F. Chronicle)
- Scientists at NASA announce the Kepler mission's discovery of a planet orbiting two suns. This is the first unambiguous detection of a circumbinary planet, i.e., a planet that orbits two stars instead of one. (NASA.gov)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 16 September 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?