Monday 17 March 2008
It was Monday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Love In This Club by Usher.
In UK Mercy by Duffy was in the top 5 hits.
The Voyeur, directed by Tinto Brass, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 March 2008!
Which were the important events of 17 March 2008 ?
- Ancient Rome - the second day of the Bacchanalia in honor of Bacchus
- Ancient Rome - the Liberalia in honor of Liber
- St. Agricola
- St. Joseph of Arimathea
- Feast day of St Patrick: a public holiday in Ireland (National feast) and Montserrat, widely celebrated in North America and worldwide (see St. Patrick's Day)
- Ancient Latvia - Kustonu Diena (return of the larks) observed
- Boston, Massachusetts - Evacuation Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 March
- Roland Arnall: French-American businessman and diplomat 63rd United States Ambassador to the Netherlands (d. 2008).
- The US dollar hits an all-time low of US$1.59 to the euro.
- Share prices of American investment bank Lehman Brothers lose 20 percent of value on the stock market.
- Governor of New York Eliot Spitzer resigns after a scandal involving a high-end prostitute. Lieutenant Governor David Paterson becomes New York State governor.
- The Florida Democratic Party abandons plans to redo the Florida Democratic primary, 2008 using mail-in ballots. (AP via Google News)
- Barack Obama gives a major speech addressing race and racial divisions in Philadelphia. (''The New York Times'')
- UNMIK and NATO KFOR forces clashed with Serb protesters in North Kosovo resulting in over 150 wounded after arresting Serb lawyers and court officials who had taken control of a UN court. The clashes are part of ongoing unrest following Kosovo's declaration of independence. (BBC News)
- A container ship pilot whose ship hit the San Francisco Bay Bridge resulting in an oil spill is charged with breaking United States pollution laws. (Reuters)
- Subprime mortgage crisis:
- The price of gold rises above the £500 per troy ounce mark (£508.445/$1023.50/€649.511) for the first time in the a.m. London Gold Fixing. (LBMA)
- 2008 unrest in Tibet:
- 2008 National People's Congress: Li Keqiang, Hui Liangyu, Zhang Dejiang, and Wang Qishan are approved by the National People's Congress as the new Vice-Premiers of the State Council. (''People's Daily'')
- War in Iraq:
- World War II Royal Australian Navy warship HMAS ''Sydney'' is discovered off the coast of Western Australia after being missing for 65 years with the loss of all 600+ crew. (ABC News Australia)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2008 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 17 March 2008 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?