Sunday 17 September 1933
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Charles E Grassley and Desmond Fennell.
The Private Life of Henry VIII., directed by Alexander Korda, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1933
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1933!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1933 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Charles E Grassley: (Sen-R-Iowa, 1981- ).
- Desmond Fennell: British high court judge.
- Dorothy Loudon in Boston: Massachusetts, USA; actress (Garbo Talks, Garry Moore Show).
- Patricia Crowley in Olyphant: Pennsylvania, USA; actress (Please Don't Eat the Daisies).
- Chuck Grassley: American lawyer and politician.
- Dorothy Loudon: American actress and singer (d. 2003)
- Claude Provost: Canadian-American ice hockey player (d. 1984)
- Joseph De Piro: Maltese priest and missionary (d. 1933).
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?